Menu
It’s not a matter of banana and apple.
Feb 20, 2013 10:47
  • WANHU
There are things we need to follow although we may disagree. Old tradition dies hard. It's good to understand and respect the tradition at the same time it makes our parents feel pleased. For me, I don't mind going to her parents first, even before my mom passed away.
Wan
Feb 20, 2013 21:06
  • COOLSPRINGS
The tradition in my area is that girls parents home is the first place to visit on day one..but now few people care about it
Last edited by COOLSPRINGS: Feb 20, 2013 21:10
Feb 20, 2013 21:09
  • RAINDROP
Wan,

People like my parents still care about the old traditions. Young children don't know much about the traditions. Thus, they are not willing to observe those traditions.

As I said, girls who get married usually spend the Chinese New Year with their parents-in-law. On January 2 (Chinese lunar calendar), they come back to visit their own parents with their husbands. It's an old tradition. If girls don't observe this tradition and take their husbands to their home for Chinese New Year Celebration, their parents-in-law might be laughed by their neighbors.

Clever parents persuade their girls to spend Chinese New Year at their son-in-law's home. They won't let their girls embarrass the parents of their sons-in-law.
Feb 20, 2013 21:13
  • RAINDROP
Quote:

Originally Posted by COOLSPRINGS

The tradition in my area is that girls parents home is the first place to visit on day one..but now few people care about it

In my area, we don't visit our relatives on Jan 1. Instead, we stay at home and visit our close families like my dad's brothers. We visit our relatives since Jan 2.
Feb 22, 2013 00:24
  • WANHU
Time is changing. In-laws and parents are visiting their sons and daughters, instead.
Wan
Feb 26, 2013 01:12
  • RAINDROP
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Time is changing. In-laws and parents are visiting their sons and daughters, instead.
Wan

It just happens when their sons and daughter have babies in my hometown. They come to send lanterns to their grandchildren during the Spring Festival (before the Lantern Festival).

During the Dragon Festival, we send bean paste cakes to our in-law parents. In return, they send T-shirts to their grandchildren.
Feb 28, 2013 11:38
  • WANHU
Good culture.
Wan
Mar 5, 2013 02:21
  • RAINDROP
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Good culture.
Wan

What about you? How do you spend your festivals?
Mar 5, 2013 11:52
  • WANHU
In Malaysia we have too many festivals, and sometimes based on religions. We have Thaipusam and Deepavali for the Hindus, Christmas for Christians, Eid for Muslims, Wesak for Buddhists, etc. These festivals mean public holidays. We also have festivals for new year, i) 1st January of the Gregorian calendar, ii) 1st January of Muslim calendar, and iii) 1st January of Chinese calendar.
Wan
Apr 12, 2013 02:49
  • RAINDROP
Wanhu,

May I know how many days your holidays last in a year? In China, the official holidays are just 11 days.
Page 3 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: It’s not a matter of banana and apple.
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code