Menu
What is the best efficient way to choose your favorite interpreter?
Feb 2, 2013 15:57
  • WANHU
I think both of you, Raindrop and Julianna are correct. If I may add, we may need a little bit of subject knowledge. When my adopted niece asked me to supervise her research on brainwaves, it is not as easy as I thought. Even IEEE reference citation is not the same as what I'm used to both MLA and APA. Google Scholar does help, but with limitations. Most of the time she would act as my interpreter although she's not an English graduate major. With good experience and knowledge I am sure you can do impromptu translations with ambidexterity.
Wan
Feb 4, 2013 21:57
  • RAINDROP
JULIAN,

I guess you are a Chinese, right? You should have learned about this sentence "术业有专攻" and '隔行如隔山'. You may do very well in trade and guide interpretation. But can you 100 percent sure that you can do very well in the academic course interpretation?

I have a friend who major in English-American Literature like you. He earns TEM 8 certificate. After graduation, he went to the Indonesia as a translator. His company has a project there, building a fossil-fired power plant there.

He told me that it was too difficult for him to do the translation. Sometimes he can't even understand the Chinese articles because there are many technical terms. In order to do his job very well, he spent 200 pounds buying a special dictionary from the UK.

Feb 4, 2013 23:30
  • WANHU
Raindrop, for beyond reasonable doubt, it's worth a try. For instance, writing words in English was too difficult for me, an uphill task but gradually I found it interesting as we can share information and experience. We always start from a scratch. Human has limitations but it's good to have positive thinking.
Wan
Feb 5, 2013 04:27
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAINDROP View Post

JULIAN,<br />
<br />
I guess you are a Chinese, right? You should have learned about this sentence "术业有专攻" and '隔行如隔山'. You may do very well in trade and guide interpretation. But can you 100 percent sure that you can do very well in the academic course interpretation? <br />
<br />
I have a friend who major in English-American Li...

Hi Raindrop,
I did not say that I am 100% sure that I can do very well in the academic course interpretation. What I meant is that sometimes you may already get into the knowledge of some special fields from your former experience. You never know what field the clients would be involved in. Moreover, as I told in earlier discussion, it all depends on various individuals.
Your friend met this situation of that he did not know much about fossil-fired power knowledge. It does not mean that every interpreter will meet the same situation as him. In the other hand, even you have the same English language level, some people learn faster than others of new things that they never knew before. Moreover, nobody until now can handle every sinlge part of special knowledge before he gets in touch with it and went through the learning process.

So in one word, it all depends on different individuals. People are all different.

Thank you for the question.

Last edited by JULIANNANEWTIME: Feb 5, 2013 04:36
Feb 6, 2013 17:45
  • WANHU
Learning is a continuous process.
Wan
Feb 6, 2013 19:46
  • RAINDROP
Wan,

Next time you may invite Julian to be your academic course interpreter. And I really want to hear your opinion on her. It sees that she has full confidence in herself.
Feb 7, 2013 01:13
  • WANHU
Raindrop
Although she doesn't say she can but she may try her best and I feel she can do it if were given the chance.
Wan
Feb 7, 2013 20:46
  • RAINDROP
Wanhu,

Chairman Mao once said "practice is the sole criterion for judging truth." Doing one's best to do a job doesn't mean that he/she can finish the job excellently.

Feb 8, 2013 08:20
  • WANHU
Correct but it's worth a try.
Wan
Feb 17, 2013 02:07
  • RAINDROP
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Correct but it's worth a try.
Wan

Yes, that's why I ask you to give her a chance .
Page 2 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What is the best efficient way to choose your favorite interpreter?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code