Menu
Who speaks international English?
Jul 4, 2013 04:01
  • MARRYMAX
An Indian scholar says “British and American people have strong accent so that the speak local English. Indian English is pure and Indians don’t have strong accent. Thus, we speak international English.”

This is what I found from the newspaper. Do you agree?

Jul 6, 2013 03:53
GUEST92204 Of course I disagree.
Indians speak English with a strong Indian accent, any English speaking person will tell you that. Period.
Jul 7, 2013 04:18
  • LAUGH
Marry,

I guess that I am not international. When I listen to "International English", I find it too difficult to understand what they are talking about.
Jul 9, 2013 19:58
  • WANHU
Don't worry Lauh, we are not English native speakers. But I have the advantage, when they speak their language I understand but when I speak my language, they can't.
Wan
Jul 9, 2013 21:17
  • LAUGH
Wan,

English is their official language. But they speak more than 1600 kinds of local language. 29 of them are very popular. If they speak their local language, we still can't understand it too.
Jul 11, 2013 23:32
  • WANHU
I believe English is English and sometimes with many accents, like Chinese too, you have Hakka, Cantonese, Minnan and a hundred others besides Putonghua, and not to mention other dialects of the 55 other ethnics in China.
Wan
Jul 14, 2013 22:44
  • BBQQ
Yes, Wan.

Probably, that's why nwe need Mandarin and standard English. Otherwise, they can't communicate with people from different places.
Jul 17, 2013 08:20
  • WANHU
Correct.
Wan
Jul 18, 2013 03:20
  • BBQQ
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Correct.
Wan

In fact, you don't have to speak native English. Even the English majors can't do this. Communication isn't only about speaking. Sometimes, a simple gesture works better than words.
Jul 19, 2013 14:14
  • WANHU
In communication theory, there are verbal and non verbal.

What's the point of graduating with English major if one can't speak well? Most public universities in Malaysia will have stringent requirements for applicants applying for English studies, even for TESL. A candidate not only should have excellent result in the school certificate examination but should also pass written aptitude test and oral conversation during the interview.

Wan
Jul 21, 2013 22:09
  • BBQQ
Wan,

In fact, Chinese people can write English well. But they can't speak very well. I don't know if they are shy or just afraid of making mistakes. I am not an English major. I can write in English. But my oral English is poor.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Who speaks international English?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code