Menu
Do you think Starbuck is too expensive?
Oct 21, 2013 02:10
  • JIMMYB
A reporter from China CCTV concludes that a tall cup of Latte sold at Beiing Starbucks is CNY 27. The price is much more expensive than those sold in London (CNY 24.25), New York and Bombay (CNY 14.6) after his investigation. An insider discloses that the cost of a tall cup of Latte is CNY 4. So he thinks Starbucks has made a very good fortune in China.

Starbucks issues a piece of paper for explanation. In the papper, Starbucks explain that they decide the price based on raw materials, equipment, welfare and other reasons. Meanwhile, these factors make them to set different prices in different countries.

Why is only Starbucks reported by CCTV? What about other coffee brands? A cup of very ordinary coffee is sold more than CNY 25 at COSTA, Pacific Coffee or SPR.
Oct 21, 2013 22:58
  • BBQQ
They just calculate the coffee. Do they include free wifi and other hidden services? Do they calculate rental, human resources and other costs?
Oct 22, 2013 05:01
  • WANHU
Dear BBQQ, I think the cost of Starbucks coffee at HKIA is cheaper than Hangzhou, where usually airport is more expensive than other places.
Wan
Oct 22, 2013 20:45
  • BBQQ
Wan,

I didn't visit HK so that I don't know about the Starbucks at the HKIA or downtown area in HK. If we consider the exchange rates, things in HK are cheaper than those in mainland China. Take Iphone 4S for example, the Iphone 4S wth 8G storage space is sold CNY 3288 on the official website of Apple in mainland China. On the website of Apple in HK, it is sold HK$3288, about CNY 2700. That's why so many people swarm into HK to buy electronic products.
Nov 15, 2013 23:39
  • WANHU
Dear BBQQ, now is a new trend. They buy milk powder from HK and sell them in SZ. Under the bridge in front of Luohu Kou'an you can see peddlars selling milk powder, especially from Mead Johnson's products.
Wan
Nov 18, 2013 20:56
  • BBQQ
Ok, another method to make money. Mead Johnson's milk powder has a great share in the milk powder in China. It's favored by many Chinese parents.
Nov 23, 2013 16:51
  • WANHU
Last time I used S-26 by Wyeth for my family.
Wan
Nov 26, 2013 02:58
  • BBQQ
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Last time I used S-26 by Wyeth for my family.
Wan

Is it for baby or mom? My colleague used to drink milk powder when she was pregnant. She said it benefited both her and her baby.
Nov 27, 2013 09:01
  • WANHU
S-26 is a baby formula.
Wan
Nov 29, 2013 00:29
  • BBQQ
Thanks, Wan. Please forgive my innocence. There are two many milk powder brands and I don't have much knowledge on it.
Nov 29, 2013 09:31
GUEST92131 Coffee at retail shops is overpriced. Starbucks has built a reputation and an empire from selling coffee and other things at gross profit margins.

If you think 27 RMB is too high for a cup of coffee - don't go to Starbucks. Brew your coffee at home, like I do.

Do the math: - invest in a good drip coffee maker - $15.
- a pound of coffee (yields 50 cups) is $3.
- paper filters (a pack of 50) - $1.
- filtered water at home - costs very little.

Enjoy.

BTW, coffee is no different than overpriced apparel, overpriced medicine, overpriced fuel, and so on.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Do you think Starbuck is too expensive?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code