Menu
best tofu in Qingdao
Nov 19, 2013 08:02
  • LIORKIN
hello.
I had the best tofu while traveling in Shandong province in the city of Qingdao.
all i have is a picture but i really want to know the name and ever better would be the recipe.
please help
Nov 19, 2013 19:48
  • CHERRY07
The picture is too small to figure out what it is. I guess it is Hu Pi Tofu (Tiger skinned Tofu). I provide you a recipe. But it is difficult for us to cook Tofu as good as the cook at the restaurant. They have their own secret recipes.

What you need to prepare: a piece of marinated tofu, a small bowl of ground meat (pork), soup stock, ginger and shallot.

Seasonings: salt, sugar, white pepper powder, starch, cooking wine and dark soy sauce.
(Forgive me that I can’t tell you how much seasonings you should add. Chinese cooks just season the dishes according to their experiences)

1.Cut marinated tofu into cubes and soak tofu cubes in salt water for 20 minutes and then drain tofu pieces well.

Salt water removes beany flavor and ensures tofu cubes don’t shatter when cooking.
2.Mix ground meat with salt, sugar, white pepper, starch, cooking wine, soy sauce, minced ginger very well and wait for 20 minutes.
3.Fry tofu cubes in hot vegetable oil until its two sides turn golden.
4.Fry ground meat for 2 or 3 minutes until its surface turn from red to white.
5.Put soup stock in water and boil until it starts bubbling and pour fried tofu cubes into the boiler. Then add sugar, salt, soy sauce and boil for 10 minutes with cover.
6.Put tofu cubes on the plate and spread minced shallot over the tofu cubes. Put fried ground meat into the soup for boiling tofu cubes and boil with fierce heat until the soup turns viscous.
7.Pour ground meat juice over tofu cubes. Dish off!
Nov 21, 2013 00:58
  • LIORKIN
Hello.
thank you for the fast reply.
i am not sure that you are right because the tofu we had was vegeterian. and your recipe has pork in it....
i will try to add a bigger picture of the dish.
and thank you again

Nov 21, 2013 20:20
  • CHERRY07
LIORKIN,

How does it taste? A bit sweet, right? If so, I know what it is. It’s braised marinated tofu in soy sauce. I got a recipe for you.

Main ingredients: 150g marinated tofu
Seasonings and other ingredients: edible vegetable oil, shallot sections, 2 pieces of ginger slices, 5g salt, 3g sugar, two cloves of garlic, 4g dark soy sauce, 6g cooking wine, 15g starch, ground white pepper.

1. Cut garlic into small pieces, shallot into short sections and ginger into shreds.
2. Cut tofu into small dices.
3. Mix starch with 10 tablespoons water.
4. Mix salt, sugar, cooking wine, dark soy sauce and white pepper very well.
5. Boil tofu dices in boiling water for around 1 minute. Don’t forget to add some salt (2g). Salt can make tofu dices solid so that they won’t shatter into pieces when you fry.
6. Heat two tablespoons vegetable oil and fry ginger shreds and garlic pieces.
7. Add tofu dices into the pan and stir-fry very carefully for a second.
8. Spread mixed sauce over tofu dices and then stir tofu dices very carefully. Perhaps, you can shake the pan back and forth so that tofu dices can absorb sauce very well. Another benefit is that tofu dices won’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
9. Add mixed starch water into the pan and heat tofu dices with fierce heat. Keep shaking the pan to ensure that tofu dices don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
10. When the sauce turns sticky, spread minced shallot pieces. Dish off.
Nov 21, 2013 22:24
  • LIORKIN
Thank you. It sounds really good. I will try making it.
Can you tell me the name of the dish? In english and mandarin please?
Nov 21, 2013 23:43
  • CHERRY07
Liorkin,

It called 红烧老豆腐 in Chinese and Braised Marinated Tofu in soy sauce. And I just omit a flavoring (called Ji Jing, 鸡精 in Chinese or Chicken essence in English). The chicken essence functions like the MSG. Most foreigners don't like MSG. So I didn't list it.
Nov 23, 2013 22:07
  • WANHU
MSG is not good for health (as claimed by many health watchers).
Wan
Nov 24, 2013 05:43
  • LIORKIN
i am a foreigner but i love MSG. I have a bag of it at home. you cant really cook Chinese food without it... I am going to try to make the tofu using the recipe you gave me.
Nov 24, 2013 20:47
MSG is different from Chicken essence. My sister who does business of raw materials for making MSG and Chicken essence told me that it's better to eat MSG than chicken essence.
Post a Reply to: best tofu in Qingdao
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code