Menu
(Keep updating)Sharing sourcing and interpretation stories in Canton
Jun 7, 2017 04:41
  • LUCKIERTRANS

2017.1 Consecutive Interpreting Work for a German Luxury Car Brand 4S Shop

In January 2017, I worked as interpreter in Shenzhen for 3 weeks to do service audit with a German audit for a luxury car brand 4S shop. The work is divided to 3 parts: kick off meeting, audit, last meeting.

Although I worked as interpreter for up to one year in Volkswagen’s workshops before, the vehicle maintenance process is much more complex than that, which involves thousands of parts of the vehicle. Each time I did the interpretation work, there would be some small problems with the strange new words and I would need to search them in google for understanding.

Sometime the customer was so confused that how can Chinese characters be so complicated! How can you Chinese do not know your own printing and handwriting. But sometimes he comforted me that not only me, but also the people working in the 4S shop cannot read those documents needed to be translated by me. Because the systems and softwares in the 4s shop are provided by German companies, a lot of Chinese and English translation in them are translated by German translation companies. Those German translation companies do not have technique knowledge and doesn’t know Chinese well, so it turns out to be strange words when it is in Chinese. Sometimes, when the Chinese technician in the shop do not understand the Chinese translation, they will choose the English surface, with the instruction picture then they will understand what it is actually about.
By working together with German, I can feel that how they are serious with works. Confidentiality agreement is a must to work with them. Safeguard systems are installed in their computers to avoid the invasion from 4S shops. When they are on business trip, they will bring their own printers. The translation record on the meeting will be tear up as soon as the meeting is end. Discussions having nothing to do with works with the workers are not allowed. Of course no pictures are allowed in the meetings. For each meeting, there will be full of people in the meeting room and the atmosphere is unusually serious, which is in common sense for it is about large amount of refund

Jun 7, 2017 23:52
  • LUCKIERTRANS
Sophie Chen

Based in Guangzhou

Mob/whatsapp/wechat:+0086 18988623838

Facebook: Sufen Chen

Facebook Page: Foreign Business in China

Email:foxmail.com|hssophie

After 3 years experience working in a trading company, what service I can offer?
Help with import products from China.
sourcing services as below:
1.Searching for supplier (You will be able to deal with supplier directly)
2.Inspecting report with quality inspection/ supplier verification
3.Buying services and well serviced forwarder
4.Guide &Translation & Car services(For business trip or traval)
5.Orders handling
Your business in China will go smoothly with an experienced former worker in trading company

Jun 9, 2017 05:13
  • ZENCHEN
陈淑芬,a typical Chinese girl name
Jun 12, 2017 04:44
  • LUCKIERTRANS
Jun 16, 2017 03:52
  • LUCKIERTRANS
Feb 22,2017 Interpretation Work in IFX Hongkong Fair
Finally I get some time today to update my stories. Interpretation work for financial industry was new for me. To get more experience in different industries, I actually accepted lower price than I usually charge to get this job.
It took me 6 hours to go and back from HK. The trip was a little bit tired but I was still so glad that I got the chance to know more about this new industry. Exhibition interpretation and business negotiation are my strengths and knowing one more industry will allow more opportunities in the future. I always see far
I accompanied the client walking around the fair that afternoon and had some conversations with some exhibitors. I also collected some catalogs to know more about the industry and to be prepared for my future work. Most of them were in English but how I wished they were Chinese! Knowing the Chinese item names should be the first step!
The meeting about agency agreement with foreign companies went smoothly and they both agreed that they would make the contract as soon as they were back to company.
After the meeting, my client talked with me for a long-term cooperation. Then I said that but for the next cooperation I cannot offer this low price any more.
After knowing me more, the client said that ”Of course I will pay higher next time, I see your ability”
When I was back home, it was already 9pm. But I still organized the minutes of the meeting in time and sent it to the client. The client was moved and expressed his thanks again and again.
Last edited by LUCKIERTRANS: Jun 16, 2017 03:54
Jun 27, 2017 01:21
  • LUCKIERTRANS
March 2-3, 2017 Hongkong International Diamond, Gem &Pearl Show
On March 2, I visited the 2017 Hongkong International Diamond, Gem &Pearl Show together with a jeweller from GZ and had a business negotiation with a regular client. The jewelry is so glamorous but no photos are allowed.
We walked around in the morning, giving some business cards to the foreigners and collecting over 20 business cards from them. We showed them our samples and catalogs. One client from Ukraine asked for several prices in details and tended to contact us again after going back to his country. I found that Iranians really like jewelry. They told me that they mainly imported from Turkey and if Chinese manufacturer are competitive in prices, they would come for sourcing as a group.
At noon, we showed the samples to a regular client and made some changes to the bulk orders. In the afternoon, we walked around and had a meeting with another client. Then the boss went back to GZ.
And it happened that another boss from Beijing contacted me and told that he would come to HK for the show too. So I stayed in HK that night.
In the next morning, I waited for the boss in the café. I talked with a lady next desk and she told me that her friend will need a translator for written translation. She would like to recommend me to her friend. What a lucky day!
Then the Beijing boss came. We walk to the third and fifth floor where there were European exhibitors. He chose some gold and silver chains, asking for the material, weight, price and ways of cooperation. He said that the March exhibition is too small and not much new styles. Thus we finished work early and made an appointment that we would meet in September.
Post a Reply to: (Keep updating)Sharing sourcing and interpretation stories in Canton
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code